Hello out there,
We had an upsurge of news late last week and there was the usual Billboard review, which has meant a news pile-up. To catch up lets’s dive right in!
* Too many female artistes are scripted in their statements and actions, either by themselves (think Mad-onna), or by handlers who want to maximize the gain from their cash cow (think Britney). Or, they say and do bizarre, flaky things (think Gaga) or act vulgar and sleazy (think Rihanna). Nicki Minaj is a refreshing change. This Friday Nicki was irritated beyond measure at Twitter’s failure to stop unauthorized leaks of her songs. As a sign of protest and while throwing a tantrum, Nicki deleted her Twitter account! Though some may call this an over-reaction, it bespeaks a singer who is not scripted and is frank and authentic.
* During a shoot for his ‘Boyfriend’ video Justin Bieber was spotted kissing a girl’s hand and getting cuddly with her. As it happened, Selena happened to stop by. Not a bad idea to be keeping tabs if your boyfriend’s Justin Bieber, eh?
* Bee Gee Robin Gibb is out of his coma and able to communicate but now we are told that, after everything he has suffered, he has colorectal cancer. Gibb surprised his doctors by emerging from his coma and I hope he surprises them by walking out from the hospital as well.
* The Bob Marley ‘docu-drama’ ‘Marley’ is playing at about 50 theatres in the U.S. But if you’re a reggae-lover in a small-town in the heartland, you can watch it as a VoD (Video-on-Demand) on your computer screen.
* Deadheads should be just as happy as Marley-fans: They can now play an interactive game, ‘The Grateful Dead Game: The Epic Tour’. Who wants the Jerry Garcia avatar?
* In closing, Congratulations to Neil Diamond! At three-score-and-ten he has become a husband for the third time. Best Wishes to his wife, his manager Katie McNeil.